Today of course, we do not have a legitimate currency. We have fiat currency. There is nothing behind the dollar, which is why people think, well, what is wrong with bitcoin? Because there is nothing behind the dollar and there is nothing behind bitcoins, there fore its the same.
Well, there is a significant difference. The dollar is legal tender in America. Other currencies are legal tender some place else. And even though I do not want dollars, the government only accepts dollars in payment of taxes, therefore if I don`t want to go to jail and I value not going to jail (that does have a value), the only way I can stay out of jail is to have enough dollars to pay my taxes. So, there is a legitimate use for dollars even though they do not have any intrinsic value, the way gold does.
But bitcoins, do not have any intrinsic value whatsoever. So here is the problem. People are advocating the use of bitcoins as if its a form of money. But it can`t be. Because bitcoins do not represent a store of value. You don`t know how much bitcoins will be worth next week, next year, in 5 or 10 years. Nobody knows. Will bitcoins be worth zero? They might because they don not have any intrinsic value.
Somebody may come up with an alternative digital currency maybe more attractive than bitcoins and people will use that one. Somebody might come up with a legitimate digital currency that is actually backed by gold. That is not hard to do.
Peter Schiff is an American businessman, investment broker and financial commentator. Schiff is the CEO and chief global strategist of Euro Pacific Capital Inc.
- ► 2019 (89)
- ► 2018 (169)
- ► 2017 (188)
- ► 2016 (252)
- ► 2015 (344)
- ► 2014 (429)
- China Announced The Mother Of All Tapering
- Will Bitcoins Be Worth Zero? They Might.
- The Original Currencies
- The Only Reason Anybody Wants Bitcoins
- An Economy That Lives By QE, Dies By QE
- Federal Reserve: They Have No Intention Of Taperin...
- Tapering & Tight Financial Conditions
- The Only Thing The Federal Reserve Fears More Than...
- Bitcoin Is The Wrong Vehicle
- The Simple Truth On The U.S. Debt: Repayment Is Im...
- We Are Going Get More And More QE Until We Overdos...
- Federal Reserve: No Impetus To Change Course
- Bitcoin: People Will Lose A Lot Of Money
- Yellen, Dollar Crisis & The End Of This Madness
- Yellen Will Compound The Mistakes
- Yellen: A Blind Leading The Blind
- Bitcoins Are No Alternative To Gold
- Bitcoins: A Modern Day Tulip Mania
- The Minute They Remove The QE, We Are Back In Rece...
- Video: Discussing Gold & Currencies With Dennis Ga...
- Euphoria: The Short Term Effect Of The Monetary St...
- We Are Not Getting Better Economic Data
- The Fastest Growing Industries Are Where Prices Ar...
- The Natural Consequence Of A Growing And Vibrant E...
- What Europe Needs
- Video: Federal Reserve, Cheap Money & Asset Bubble...
- The Federal Reserve Is Getting Ready To Increase Q...
- QE Is Like A Drug
- QE Is Preventing The Economy From Fundamentally Re...
- The Problem For The Market
- The Whole Rally In Stocks Is Based On QE
- Video: Discussing Monetary Policy With Ron Insana
- Eugene Fama Should Return The Nobel Prize
- Video: Economic Incompetence Is A Prerequisite For...
- Eugene Fama`s Neutral Events
- Video: Yellen`s Nomination
- ▼ November (36)